Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ about Recovery Residences

Recovery residences, formerly known as sober living homes, are privately-owned homes or complexes that provide housing for adults with a substance use disorder (SUD) or co-occuring disorder.

Recovery residences house individuals who seek a living environment focused on the whole-person approach to recovery and are actively receiving Outpatient Treatment or Recovery Services under BHS SUD contract or recovery services.

The RRA is a project of Community Health Improvement Partners, funded by the County of San Diego Health and Human Services Agency’s Behavioral Health Services.

Recovery residences provide a recovery-focused home environment free of illicit drug and alcohol use. Individuals participating in community-based Medication-Assisted-Treatment (MAT) are welcomed by RRA members and encouraged by the Recovery Residence Association to utilize our housing directory to find a home that best meets their housing needs.

Recovery residence operators and/or on-site managers are required to be available on-site, or by mobile phone, 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. 

Recovery residences provide a sober and safe environment to facilitate recovery from substance use. While treatment services cannot be provided in a recovery residence, this type of short-term recovery housing allows for stability, and offers peer support to enhance an individual’s’ ability to maintain recovery while working towards skill building to achieve longer term housing solutions. (Source: San Diego County Behavioral Health Services)

FAQ about Recovery Residence Association

The RRA Quality Standards are a comprehensive set of best practices recommended for recovery residences. Click here to review them.

RRA members participate in an 1 announced and 1 unannounced Peer Review and  Accountability Team site visit, to ensure their compliance with the RRA Quality Standards and to provide them with coaching and resources to improve their recovery residence.

Yes, you can search the RRA Directory for RRA members. RRA membership demonstrates trust and quality; all RRA members must meet the RRA Quality Standards to qualify for membership.

Click here to visit our online grievance form or call 858-609-7979 to file a complaint over the phone. RRA is not able to address complaints of non-members homes. If a complaint is made against a member recovery residence, RRA can only address complaints against RRA membership requirements and Quality Standards.

The Recovery Residence  Association is facilitated by Community Health Improvement Partners and funded by the County of San Diego Health and Human Services Agency’s Behavioral Health Services.